Location: Nationwide, concentrating in major cities in Bolivia
Event: Protesters have implemented roadblocks in La Paz, Santa Cruz, and other Bolivian cities. The roadblocks vary in scale and method, and will hinder and at times completely prevent transit using streets and roads. There are media reports of confrontations at some roadblocks. The implementation of roadblocks is sporadic, and their exact location and duration are unknown. Airports in La Paz and Santa Cruz report normal flight operations, but with very limited taxi services. Passengers using public transportation can expect long lines, delays, and cancelled services.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid roadblocks and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings or protests.
- Do not attempt to pass through roadblocks forcibly.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Plan for alternate travel routes or remain in place if planned travel is inhibited.
- U.S. Embassy La Paz, Bolivia
+(591) (2) 216-8246
+(591) (2) 216-8500 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
+1 (888) 407-4747 or +1 (202) 501-4444
- Bolivia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter