Location: La Paz
Event: Since June 4, 2018, there have been ongoing demonstrations by Public University of El Alto (UPEA) protesters in La Paz and El Alto. Currently, protesters are blocking vehicular routes at several locations in downtown La Paz. Protesters are currently congregated in the area around Plaza Murillo in La Paz. Police have used tear gas on protestors and the media is reporting injuries and arrests. Be aware that these demonstrations may last for several more days and will continue to impact movement in that area.
Actions to Take: Limit travel in the area and plan for alternate travel routes in case of roadblocks. Avoid roadblocks and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings or protests. Do not attempt to pass through roadblocks forcibly. Monitor local media for updates.
- U.S. Embassy La Paz, Bolivia
+(591) (2) 216-8000+(591) (2) 216-8500 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs +1 (888) 407-4747 or +1 (202) 501-4444
- Bolivia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter