Location: Uyuni, Potosi Department
Event: Civic groups have implemented a general strike and several road blocks within the city of Uyuni. These blockades have stopped vehicles transporting tourists to the salt flats, including main exit roads and roads to and from the airport. The size, scope, and duration of the strike and roadblocks are unknown.
Actions to Take:
Avoid road blocks and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings or protests.
Do not attempt to pass through road blocks forcibly.
Verify with your travel agency or local tour company if planned travel remains possible.
Monitor local media for updates.
Plan for alternate travel routes or remain in place in case of road blocks.
- U.S. Embassy La Paz, Bolivia
+(591) (2) 216-8000
+(591) (2) 216-8500 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
+1 (888) 407-4747 or +1 (202) 501-4444
- Bolivia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter