Demonstration Alert – U.S. Embassy La Paz, Bolivia (August 14, 2020)
Event: Bolivian civic groups throughout the country continue to organize ongoing civic rallies, including in the major cities of La Paz, Cochabamba, and Santa Cruz. These demonstrations include roadblocks of major thoroughfares in and between cities, as well as to key infrastructure points such as airports. The expected size and duration of these demonstrations is unknown.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid roadblocks and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings or protests.
- Do not attempt to pass through road blocks forcibly.
- Plan for alternate travel routes or remain in place if planned travel is inhibited.
- Monitor local media for updates on road conditions.
- Monitor the ABC website for official reports on road conditions, weather, and vehicle restrictions at http://transitabilidad.abc.gob.bo/mapa/.
- U.S. Embassy La Paz, Bolivia
+(591) (2) 216-8000
+(591) (2) 216-8500 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
+1 (888) 407-4747 or +1 (202) 501-4444
- Bolivia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter