Demonstration Alert – U.S. Embassy La Paz, Bolivia (December 4, 2018)
Location: Nationwide, concentrating in major cities in Bolivia
Event: Multiple Bolivian civic groups throughout the country have announced a general strike, beginning in the earliest hours of Thursday, December 6, 2018. The general strike may include work stoppages, road blockades, rallies, and marches. Roadblocks may prevent travel from home, to and from airports, and around city centers. The size, scope, and duration of this strike and roadblocks are unknown at this time.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid road blocks and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings or protests.
- Do not attempt to pass through road blocks forcibly.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Plan for alternate travel routes in case of road blocks. If travel from your home or the airport to your destination is inhibited, remain in place until roadblocks have cleared.
- U.S. Embassy La Paz, Bolivia
+(591) (2) 216-8246
+(591) (2) 216-8500 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
+1 (888) 407-4747 or +1 (202) 501-4444
- Bolivia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter