Demonstration Alert: U.S. Embassy La Paz, Bolivia (July 14, 2019)
Location: La Paz
Event: La Paz transportation unions announced a city-wide strike and protest starting Monday, July 15, at 6 a.m. which could result in road blockades, transportation disruptions, and demonstrations. These activities could affect the availability of public transportation in the city of La Paz and connections with other cities and on major roads in Bolivia. The Embassy is expected to be open for normal operations, however, applicants for consular services that are unable to reach the Embassy due to the strike activity may contact the Embassy and will have their appointments rescheduled for another day.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor the ABC website for official reports of traffic disruptions at http://transitabilidad.abc.gob.bo/mapa/.
- Avoid roadblocks and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings or protests.
- Do not attempt to pass through roadblocks forcibly.
- Plan for alternate travel routes or remain in place if planned travel is inhibited.
- Monitor local media for updates on road conditions.
+(591) (2) 216-8000
+(591) (2) 216-8500 (after hours)
State Department – Consular Affairs
+1 (888) 407-4747 or +1 (202) 501-4444
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates