Location: La Paz
Event: Since June 4, 2018, there have been ongoing demonstrations by Public University of El Alto (UPEA) protesters in La Paz and El Alto. Currently, protesters are blocking vehicular routes at several locations in downtown La Paz, specifically in the vicinity of Obelisco, Del Estudiante, and Venezuela squares. There have been no reported acts of violence.
Actions to Take: Limit travel in the area and plan for alternate travel routes in case of roadblocks. Avoid roadblocks and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings or protests. Do not attempt to pass through roadblocks forcibly. Monitor local media for updates.
- U.S. Embassy La Paz, Bolivia
+(591) (2) 216-8000+(591) (2) 216-8500 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs +1 (888) 407-4747 or +1 (202) 501-4444
- Bolivia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter