Demonstration Alert – U.S. Embassy La Paz, Bolivia (October 31, 2022)
Location: Santa Cruz de la Sierra
Event: The U.S. Consular Agency in Santa Cruz de la Sierra has temporarily suspended all routine American citizen services due to ongoing demonstrations in and around Santa Cruz de la Sierra. Some confrontations between protestors have resulted in violence. Regional transportation in Santa Cruz has been disrupted. American citizens in Santa Cruz de la Sierra are encouraged to avoid protests. American citizens in urgent need of consular services can contact the U.S. Embassy in La Paz.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor local media for updates on demonstrations and security conditions.
- Exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings or protests.
- Limit plans for travel to and around Santa Cruz, Bolivia.
- Plan for alternate travel routes or remain in place if planned travel is inhibited.
- For emergency assistance, contact the Consular Section at the U.S. Embassy in La Paz using the information below.
+(591) (2) 216-8000
+(591) (2) 216-8500 (after hours)
State Department – Consular Affairs
+1 (888) 407-4747 or +1 (202) 501-4444
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates