Frequently Asked Questions

The lowest TOEFL accepted is 577 in the written version, 233 in the computer-based version, or 94 in the IBT.

It would be to your advantage, but it is not a must. However, it is required of applicants to the Fulbright Faculty Development Scholarship.

Yes, it is. It is necessary that you have a nationwide-accredited degree when you submit your documents.

They are very important for they reflect the clarity of the objectives and academic goals you want to pursue through the Fulbright Program. There is no specific format for the letter of interest or the letters of recommendation. It is recommended, however, that the letter of interest is no longer than two pages.

No, it is not necessary. Cooperating agencies like the Institute of International Education (IIE) and LASPAU, are responsible for placing and supervising foreign student grantees in the United States.

If you are selected to receive a grant, you can propose up to four (4) universities, but the Fulbright Program, through the institutions that administer it, reserves the right to place you in a university suitable to your academic goals, especially if you are not admitted into any of the universities you propose.

Your documents will be reviewed by the Fulbright Program. If you are pre-selected you will be called for an interview. Otherwise, you will be notified through a letter. This process takes between 3 to 4 months from the moment the public announcements for the scholarships are released.

Depending on the field of study, you may have to take the GRE or GMAT. Applicants for a Fulbright Faculty Development scholarship must take the PAEP, which is an English and general knowledge test.

All but two: medicine and odontology.

No, there is not. Nevertheless, the Program seeks to send professionals that, upon their return to Bolivia, are able to contribute with the knowledge and expertise gained for as long as possible as active professionals.

No. All Fulbright scholars are subject to internal regulations—Section 212-E—of the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) and to a signed agreement with the Fulbright Program, whereby they agree to come back to the country and stay for at least two years before returning to the U.S. If starting a PhD Degree, deferment of this commitment is allowed until the completion of the PhD.

The Fulbright scholarship does not fund dependents. Dependent costs must be defrayed by the scholar from personal funds: at least $500 per month for the first dependent, $300 for the second dependent, $150 for the third one, and approximately $150 per month per dependent for health insurance.

Yes, you can. However, preference will be given to those applicants with no academic experience in the U.S.

No. You have to apply in your own country.

You must reside in your own country to apply.

No, they will not. That is why we request photocopies of all academic and personal accreditation documents. Also, simple and short resumes are recommended.

Yes there is but it should not exceed 30 days. Please explain the submission delay when applying.