An official website of the United States government

Information on Entry, Exit and Visa Requirements
May 31, 2022

Entry, Exit and Visa Requirements

Please visit the Embassy’s COVID-19 page for more information on entry/exit requirements related to COVID-19 in Bolivia.

All U.S. citizens visiting Bolivia are required to obtain a visa. A visa can be obtained at a Bolivian Embassy or Consulate in the United States or neighboring country. In addition, a tourist visa can be purchased at any land or air border. Entry is granted for 30 days. U.S. citizens who wish to extend their stay can apply for an extension through the Direccion General de Migración (National Migration Service), which has offices in most major cities. Visit the Embassy of Bolivia website for the most current visa information.

Entry requirements:

  • Valid U.S. passport with at least 6 months validity remaining.
  • International Certificate of Yellow Fever Vaccination.
  • With a visitor visa, you may stay 30 days per trip, not to exceed 90 days per year. A Bolivian visitor visa costs $160 US and can be paid in U.S. or local currency upon arrival.
  • Visitors must show proof of a round-trip ticket, or confirmation of plans to depart Bolivia.
  • Visitors must also show proof of lodging in Bolivia, such as a hotel reservation. If staying with Bolivian friends or family, authorities may require a letter of invitation from the host.
  • Foreign travelers to Bolivia must complete the web-based registration process (SIGEMIG) prior to arriving in Bolivia.
  • If arriving passengers have not completed the electronic registration prior to arriving in Bolivia, immigration inspectors at the port of entry will register them and instruct them to update their registration information as appropriate. The registration must include lodging information for the registrant.
  • If visitors to Bolivia do not comply with these requirements, they will be subject to a fine of UFV 100 (about 250 Bolivianos, but this varies from day to day) when they exit the country. No other penalties will be imposed.
  • If you plan to work, study, volunteer, or conduct business in Bolivia, you must apply for a separate visa.
  • Make sure you get entry and exit stamps from the Bolivian authorities every time you enter or leave Bolivia.
  • If you received the Bolivian visa at a land border or at an entry port and you lose your passport, you will need to get a new visa and pay the visa fee – $160 US – in order to leave the country.
  • If you obtained your Bolivian visa at the Bolivian Embassy/Consulate in the United States and you lose your passport, you will need to get an exit stamp but will not be required to pay the visa fee.
  • Minors traveling alone or with only one parent who also have Bolivian citizenship and have remained in Bolivia for over 90 days need to obtain authorization form the non-traveling parent or both parents to leave Bolivia.

Dual Nationality: Upon entering and/or exiting Bolivia, U.S.-Bolivian citizens may be required to show a valid Bolivian identity document, such as a Bolivian cedula de identidad.

HIV Restrictions: The U.S. Department of State is unaware of any HIV/AIDS entry restrictions, either for visitors or foreign residents of Bolivia.

Find information on dual nationalityprevention of international child abduction, and customs regulations on our websites.