Event: General elections are scheduled for Sunday, October 18, 2020 in Bolivia. From 00:00h until 24:00h on October 18, public and private transportation, to include public buses and the Teleférico in La Paz, will be shut down. Only a limited number of vehicles with a special permit will be permitted to circulate. Additionally, all public acts, meetings, and spectacles are prohibited during this same period. A dry law prohibiting the sale and consumption of alcohol will be in effect from 00:00h on Friday, October 16 until 12:00h on Monday, October 19.
In addition, in the days leading up to, and following, the October 18 elections, U.S. citizen residents and travelers anywhere in Bolivia should expect political rallies, mass civic town halls (cabildos), as well as protests, strikes, and roadblocks related to a variety of issues. The duration of these possible protests is unknown. U.S. citizen residents and travelers should be prepared for potential grocery and gas shortages.
Actions to Take:
- Limit plans for leisure or business travel within Bolivia on/around October 18.
- Bolivian-U.S. dual citizens should follow guidance from the Órgano Electoral Plurinacional on local voting procedures.
- Travelers arriving to Bolivian airports on October 18 should assure ground transportation plans beforehand or prepare for long delays.
- Avoid roadblocks and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings or protests.
- Do not attempt to pass through roadblocks forcibly.
- Plan for alternate travel routes or remain in place if planned travel is inhibited.
- Monitor local media for updates on road conditions.
- Monitor the ABC website for official reports at http://transitabilidad.abc.gob.bo/mapa/.
- For emergency assistance, contact the Consular Section at the U.S. Embassy using the information below.
- U.S. Embassy La Paz, Bolivia
+(591) (2) 216-8000
+(591) (2) 216-8500 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
+1 (888) 407-4747 or +1 (202) 501-4444
- Bolivia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter