Location: Department of Potosi, concentrating in major communities including:
- Villa Alota
- Comunidad de San Juan
- Salar de Chiguana
- Comunidad Todos Santos
- Comunidad de Zoniquera
Event: Protestors from local communities have implemented several road blocks between the
city of Uyuni and Villa Alota. These blockades have stopped vehicles transporting tourists for
hours and even overnight recently. Local authorities have ordered tour operators and travel
agencies in Uyuni not to sell or depart on multi-day tours which include visits to the colored
lagoons in the area. The size, scope, and duration of these roadblocks are unknown and there
have been no reported acts of violence.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid road blocks and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings or
- Do not attempt to pass through road blocks forcibly.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Plan for alternate travel routes in case of road blocks.
- U.S. Embassy La Paz, Bolivia
+(591) (2) 216-8246
+(591) (2) 216-8500 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
+1 (888) 407-4747 or +1 (202) 501-4444
- Bolivia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter