Security Alert – U.S. Embassy La Paz, Bolivia (October 21, 2019)
Event: There are reports of large demonstrations and sporadic violence and clashes around the country, centering near offices of the electoral tribunals, vote counting centers, and city plazas. Protests in La Paz are focused near the vote counting center at the Hotel Real Plaza.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor local media for updates on demonstrations and security conditions.
- Exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings or protests.
- Limit plans for travel to and around Bolivia.
- Plan for alternate travel routes or remain in place if planned travel is inhibited.
- For emergency assistance, contact the Consular Section at the U.S. Embassy using the information below.
+(591) (2) 216-8000
+(591) (2) 216-8500 (after hours)
State Department – Consular Affairs
+1 (888) 407-4747 or +1 (202) 501-4444
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates