Security Alert – United States Embassy, La Paz, November 27, 2019
Event: A Security Notice of November 12, 2019 instituted a temporary policy that travel (official and personal) by U.S. diplomats and their family members in Bolivia required Chief of Mission approval. Effective November 27, 2019, this additional approval process has been lifted.
All employees are advised to avoid the area of the Senkata Gas Plant (District 8) of El Alto.
Actions to take:
- Avoid demonstrations and crowds; be prepared to remain at home if necessary.
- Monitor local media for breaking events and be prepared to adjust your plans.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Review the Crime and Safety Report for Bolivia.
- U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
State Department – Consular Affairs
+1 (888) 407-4747 or +1 (202) 501-4444
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates