Location: In and Around La Paz, Bolivia
Event: The Yungas Coca Growers Union has announced plans for a blockade of the city of La Paz beginning in the earliest hours of Monday, September 10, 2018. The exact scope, the duration, and the routes targeted in the blockade are still unknown; however, travelers and residents should prepare for the possibility of an increase in road closures, demonstrations, and delays in and around La Paz. Violence is not expected, but any rally or demonstration has the potential to extend on for days, and even to become dangerous.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid road blocks and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings or protests.
- Do not attempt to pass through road blocks forcibly.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Plan for alternate travel routes in case of road blocks.
- U.S. Embassy La Paz, Bolivia
+(591) (2) 216-8000
+(591) (2) 216-8500 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
+1 (888) 407-4747 or +1 (202) 501-4444
- Bolivia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter