The U.S. Embassy in La Paz informs U.S. citizens that a demonstration organized by the Coordinadora Nacional Por el Cambio (CONALCAM) is expected to take place in the city of Cochabamba on December 16, 2017. Demonstrators will gather in Avenida Blanco Galindo to commemorate the ‘Día de la Revolución Democrática y Cultural’ and to support the re-election of President Morales. The expected number of demonstrators is unknown. Heavy traffic is expected in the surrounding areas.
Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. You should avoid areas of demonstrations and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
For further information about security in Bolivia:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Bolivia Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Bolivia, located at 2780 Arce Avenue in La Paz, at +591-2-216-8246 from 8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. on Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +591-2-216-8500.
- Contact the U.S. Consular Agency in Santa Cruz, located at Radial Castilla, S/N, Across from the Colegio Santo Tomás playing field, at +591-3-351-3477 from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. on Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +591-2-216-8500.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).