United States Embassy La Paz, Bolivia
August 28, 2017
The U.S. Embassy in La Paz informs U.S. citizens that two demonstrations are expected to take place on August 28, 2017. According to the local media, approximately 150 to 200 street vendors are expected to block the Max Paredes commercial area to protest against the issuance of street vendor’s credentials, and 1000 to 2000 social organizations protesters will gather at the San Pedro Square, in front of San Pedro prison, to demand the release of one of their leaders. Heavy traffic is expected in the vicinity of Eguino, Garita de Lima and San Pedro squares and Tumusla street. Be aware that these demonstrations may last for several more days and will continue to impact traffic.
Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. You should avoid areas of demonstrations and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
For further information about security in Bolivia:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Bolivia Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Bolivia, located at 2780 Arce Avenue in La Paz, at +591-2-216-8246 from 8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. on Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +591-2-216-8500.
- Contact the U.S. Consular Agency in Santa Cruz, located at Radial Castilla, S/N, Across from the Colegio Santo Tomás playing field, at +591-3-351-3477 from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. on Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +591-2-216-8500.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).