The U.S. Embassy in La Paz informs U.S. citizens that demonstrations are expected to take place in La Paz beginning at 10:00 on December 12, 2017. Demonstrators from the Medical Sector will march and block the streets around Plaza del Estudiante, Puente de las Americas, Avenida Saavedra, Plaza Triangular and Calle 17 de Obrajes. In El Alto they will gather in Hospital del Norte. According to the media, demonstrators will be marching and blocking different sections of the city with the stated purpose of demanding the government to modify Article 205. The expected number of demonstrators is unknown. Be aware that these demonstrations may last for several more days and will continue to impact traffic in the surrounding areas.
Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. You should avoid areas of demonstrations and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
For further information about security in Bolivia:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Bolivia Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Bolivia, located at 2780 Arce Avenue in La Paz, at +591-2-216-8246 from 8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. on Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +591-2-216-8500.
- Contact the U.S. Consular Agency in Santa Cruz, located at Radial Castilla, S/N, Across from the Colegio Santo Tomás playing field, at +591-3-351-3477 from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. on Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +591-2-216-8500.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).