Death of a U.S. Citizen

The American Citizens Services unit provides certain assistance when a U.S. citizen dies in Bolivia. The degree and nature of consular assistance depends upon whether the U.S. citizen was accompanied by a family member or representative and whether he or she was visiting or living in Bolivia.

The ACS Unit can provide advice on funeral homes that prepare remains for shipment to the United States and will issue a Consular Report of Death, which serves as a death certificate for probate and other legal purposes.

In the case where an unaccompanied U.S. citizen dies in Bolivia, a consular officer will act as provisional conservator of the deceased’s personal estate and will take custody of portable personal effects. As provisional conservator, the consular officer’s duties include arranging for the delivery of personal effects to the legal next of kin, subject to local laws. In general, estate or contested property will be disposed of in accordance with local Bolivian law.