Emergency Financial Assistance


Americans who find themselves destitute in Bolivia may request the assistance of the U.S. Embassy to communicate with family or to return to the United States. With your authorization, the Embassy can call your family and friends to explain how money can be sent to you from the United States.

Transferring Money to a Destitute U.S. Citizen Overseas

If you need to get money to a destitute U.S. citizen outside the United States, you have a number of available options.

Banks, Credit Card Companies, and Money Transfer Companies

  • Contact the individual’s bank and arrange to add funds to the person’s account.
  • Contact the individual’s credit card company to ask for a temporary credit limit increase.
  • Arrange for immediate replacement of a lost/stolen credit card.  Express delivery may take 5 business days.
  • Identify a commercial money transfer company that operates in/near the city where the individual is located.  There are money transfer cost comparison tools online to help you identify your best option.  NOTE:  The individual must typically present identification to collect funds; this channel may not be an option if identification is lost or stolen.
  • One of the fastest ways to obtain cash is by Western Union wire transfer from a friend or relative in the United States. Western Union offices are located throughout Bolivia. More information can be found on their website or by calling 1-800-325-6000 from the United States.
Department of State

As a last resort, the Department of State may be able to help family and friends transfer funds through our office in Washington, D.C. to a U.S. embassy or consulate abroad.  The U.S. citizen who is abroad should contact the Embassy or Consular Agency to inquire about eligibility requirements and additional details.  You can send an email to ConsularLaPazACS@state.gov or call (591-2) 216-8000. The Department of State charges a $30 processing fee to set up an account and transfer funds overseas per fiscal year (October 1 – September 30).  Therefore, when sending money for the first time, please add $30 for the State Department’s processing and account set-up fee to the amount you intend to send the recipient. If your account remains open and in use for an additional fiscal year or is transferred to another overseas consular district then an additional $30 fee must be assessed.

For more information, click here.