Additional Resources for U.S. Citizens

The information provided here has been compiled to provide U.S. citizens living overseas with information and assistance concerning administrative and personal matters.

Entry, Exit and Visa Requirements

As of December 20, 2019, U.S. citizens no longer need a visa to enter Bolivia for tourism.  Entry is granted for 30, 60, or 90 days at the discretion of the Bolivian immigration officer at the port of entry.  U.S. citizens who wish to extend their stay can apply for an extension through Administración Nacional de Migración (National Migration Service), which has offices in most major cities.  The additional periods can be consecutive or nonconsecutive within a one-year period.  The maximum period of stay for tourists is 90 calendar days per year.

Entry requirements:

  • Valid U.S. passport with at least 6 months validity remaining.
  • International Certificate of Yellow Fever Vaccination. Upon arrival to Bolivia,  Bolivian authorities will require proof of yellow fever vaccination to all travelers visiting areas of high risk for yellow fever in the departments of Chuquisaca, La Paz, Cochabamba, Tarija, Santa Cruz, Beni and Pando.
  • If you plan to work, study, volunteer, or conduct business in Bolivia, you must apply for a separate visa (Specific Purpose Visa).
  • Make sure you obtain entry and exit stamps from the Bolivian authorities every time you enter or exit Bolivia.
  • There are limited flights within Bolivia and to neighboring countries. Flight delays and cancellations are common.
  • Minors with Bolivian citizenship must obtain authorization from the non-traveling parent or parents at a Bolivian Embassy or Consulate to exit Bolivia. All other minors who remain in Bolivia for more than 90 days, regardless of citizenship, must also obtain this authorization to exit Bolivia.
  • Dual Nationality: Upon entering and/or exiting Bolivia, U.S.-Bolivian citizens may be required to show a valid Bolivian identity document, such as a Bolivian Cédula de Identidad.

HIV Restrictions: The U.S. Department of State is unaware of any HIV/AIDS entry restrictions for visitors to, or foreign residents of Bolivia.

Find information on dual nationality, prevention of international child abduction and customs regulations on our website.

In order to take a pet to the United States you will need to obtain a rabies and health certificate from your veterinarian. You will then need to take this certificate to the Jefatura Nacional de Sanidad Animal at Servicio Nacional de Sanidad Agropecuaria e Inocuidad Alimentaria (SENASAG).

SENASAG will issue a document called “Certificado Zoosanitario para Animales de Compañía”.  Present this document to Bolivian and U.S. Customs authorities.

If you wish to travel with any other pet than dogs or cats, you should visit the U.S. Customs website:

Even if your child acquired U.S. citizenship at birth and has been issued a U.S. passport, if he or she was born in Bolivia, under Bolivian law the child will be a Bolivian citizen. All births in Bolivia must be recorded with the Bolivian civil registry officials.

Under Bolivian law, a person under age 18 is a minor. In cases in which one parent wishes to travel with a minor alone, or if the minor wishes to travel alone, the accompanying parent or solo traveler minor must obtain a legalized authorization from the non-traveling parent or from both parents consenting the child’s departure from Bolivia.  U.S. citizen parents of Bolivian citizen children may wish to prepare this authorization should emergency travel be necessary.

For more information, please contact Bolivian immigration authority, Servicio Nacional de Inmigración, at telephone number (591-2) 211-0960.

In order to get married in Bolivia the following documents must be presented:

  1. Certified copy of the U.S. birth certificate apostilled by the U.S. Department of State Authentications Office.
  2. Spanish translation of the U.S. birth certificate notarized by a Bolivian Consul in the United States.
  3. Valid United States passport.
  4. Certification of eligibility to marry, such as death or divorce certificates for prior marriages, or certificate of no record of marriage from prior U.S. state of residence apostilled by the U.S. Department of State Authentications Office. These documents need to be translated to Spanish and then notarized by a Bolivian Consul in the United States.
  5. Proof of three months continuous residence in Bolivia. This can be waived at the discretion of the local official.

Note: U.S. Consular Officers are authorized by law to perform limited notarial services abroad in connection with certain documents to be presented in the United States. U.S. Consular officers may not perform notarial services in connection with documents for presentation in the host country.

Bolivian Marriage Laws

Only civil marriages are recognized as legal in Bolivia. Civil marriages are performed  by a civil registry official, either before or after a religious ceremony.  Although the age of majority in Bolivia is 21, men can marry at 16 and women at 14 with permission from parents or guardians.  Exceptions can be made for pregnant minors whose parents refuse permission and for orphans (orphans must have permission to marry from the Tribunal Tutelar del Menor and from the Juez de Familia).  As in the United States, marriage is not permitted between close blood relatives, and bigamy is against the law.  Marriage is forbidden in some circumstances, including the mentally ill.  Widows, divorcees and women who have had marriages annulled cannot remarry sooner than 300 days after the death of a husband, the date of the final decree of divorce or the notice of annulment.

Marriages performed outside the United States are generally recognized in the United States. In order for a Bolivian Marriage Certificate to have legal validity in the United States, it should be apostilled by the Bolivian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Tourists can rent a car with their valid state’s driver’s license. U.S. citizens living, studying or working in Bolivia can get a Bolivian driver’s license at the Servicio General de Identificación Personal (SEGIP).

Please contact SEGIP for any questions in connection to the Bolivian driver’s license or how to validate your U.S. driver’s license.

Tourists who wish to enter Bolivia on their own private vehicles must register the vehicle in the SIVETUR system (Affidavit of Entry and Exit of Private Vehicles for Tourism) at the following address -> SERVICIOS -> APLICACIONES SIVETUR or at -> Viajero -> Registro de Vehículos Turísticos.

Tourists must take into account the period established for the permanence of their tourism vehicles in Bolivian territory. According to Bolivian legal regulations, if the term of authorized stay expires and the vehicle is still in Bolivian territory, the vehicle will be confiscated by Bolivian authorities.

The Consular Section at U.S. Embassy La Paz only collects fingerprints in relation to active visa applications and upon request by USCIS. The Consular Section is unable to provide fingerprint services for any other Bolivian or U.S. process. The local offices of INTERPOL are available to provide fingerprint services in relation to applications with the Bolivian government.

  • INTERPOL La Paz – Ave. Costanera – Phone: +591 (2) 291-6012
  • INTERPOL Santa Cruz – Entre 2ndo y 3er Anillo de la Ave. Mutualista, Calle 5 – Phone: +591 800-140099