Passport Services

A passport is an internationally recognized travel document that verifies the identity and nationality of the bearer.  A valid U.S. passport is required to enter and leave most foreign countries.  All U.S. citizens, including dual nationals, must enter the United States on a U.S. passport.  Only the U.S. Department of State has the authority to grant, issue, or verify U.S. passports.

To apply for a U.S. passport, all applicants, including children, must appear in person for an interview at the American Citizen Services unit of the U.S. Embassy in La Paz or at the Consular Agency in Santa Cruz.  The average time for processing a new passport is approximately 15-20 working days from the time the Consular Officer approves your application.  Every applicant must provide original documents requested.  If you are required to bring additional evidence to comply with U.S. law, you will have 90 days from the date of the interview to submit the evidence.

In order to provide more effective customer service, the American Citizens Services unit has an appointment system for all non-emergency services, including passport renewals. We ask that you make an appointment before your visitPlease note that as per Embassy security regulation, all persons who wish to appear at the appointment must register their names in the appointment system in order to be admitted into the embassy/agency. If an application will be submitted on behalf of a minor child, both the child and the parent(s) or legal guardian(s) will all need to have appointments in order to enter the Embassy/Agency. Our appointment system allows you to plan your visit in advance, ensures shorter wait times, and allows more efficient handling of individual cases. Only customers with appointments will be admitted into the Consular Section/Agency for all non-emergency matters.

Social Security Number for Passport Applications

Note: Effective October 1, 2016, you must provide your Social Security number, if you have been issued one, on your application for a U.S. passport, in accordance with 22 U.S.C. 2714a and 22 C.F.R 51.60(f).

If you or your child don’t have a Social Security number, you must submit a statement, signed and dated, that includes the phrase, “I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the following is true and correct: I have/(Child’s full name) has never been issued a Social Security number by the Social Security Administration.”

Your passport application will be delayed or denied if you do not provide a Social Security number or a statement declaring that a Social Security number has not been issued to you. Contact the Social Security Administration for information about obtaining a new or replacement Social Security number and card.

Passport services require ONE passport photo.

You must submit ONE photo with your passport application. For information on passport photo requirements please click HERE.

Please use the links below to determine which type of passport service you need, and follow the instructions carefully.