The Consular Section is currently closed to non-emergency services. Citizens needing emergency service should contact ConsularLaPazACS@State.gov.
Please note that as of June 3, 2019, U.S. Embassy La Paz will not process Adult Passport Renewal Applications sent through FedEx or refund the fees if applicants don’t use one of the two accepted forms of payment specified in the instructions below.
Renew an Adult Passport by FedEx
You are only eligible to renew your U.S. passport by mail if:
- You are currently in Bolivia and have a mailing address in Bolivia;
- Your most recent passport was issued within the last 15 years, and after you turned age 16;
- The passport you are submitting is not damaged, lost, or stolen.
Passport Application Checklist:
Complete the following four (4) steps in order, to successfully renew your passport by mail:
1.Complete online and print Form DS-82 using the online passport wizard. Be sure to complete ALL fields accurately, as any mistakes may result in a delay in processing your application. Make sure that you sign and date the form. Print application on one-sided pages only. If you have questions regarding the form, please contact the Consular Section for assistance at ConsularLaPazACS@state.gov. Pay particular attention to the following fields:
- Section 5, Social Security Number: You must provide a Social Security number, if you have been issued one. If you do not have a Social Security number, you must submit a statement, signed and dated, that includes the phrase, “I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the following is true and correct: I have never been issued a Social Security Number by the Social Security Administration.” See more information here.
- Section 8, Mailing Address: Please be certain to provide a LOCAL address in field #8.
- Photo: Review passport photo requirements here. You must submit a 2×2 inch (5×5 cm) color photograph of your face, neck, and shoulders with a white background, taken within the past six months. Photo booth photographs are NOT acceptable for U.S. passport issuance. Images that appear to be retouched or altered will not be accepted. The photograph must be taken in normal street attire, without a hat, head covering, military uniform, or glasses, unless a signed statement is submitted by the applicant verifying the item is worn daily for religious purposes or a signed doctor’s statement is submitted verifying the item is used daily for medical purposes. Do NOT staple or paperclip the photo to your application.
- Section 11, Name Change Information: If the name you are currently using differs from the name on your most recent U.S. passport, you must submit an original copy of your marriage/divorce certificate or court order showing the change of name. All documents will be returned to you by mail together with the new passport. If you are unable to document your name change in this manner, you must schedule an appointment to apply personally at the Embassy in La Paz or the Consular Agency in Santa Cruz using Form DS-11 application form.
- Signature: Please sign the form using your legal signature. If your signature has changed since your last passport renewal, please provide legal proof of new signature (examples include: residence card, driver’s license, federal or state-issued ID, or other passport).
The Adult Passport book fee is a non-refundable processing fee and is retained by the Department of State whether or not the passport is issued.
There is no expedited service outside the United States. Please do not include payment for this service, as it will delay your processing time.
Accepted Payment Methods:
- Certified Bank Check – Issued by any Bolivian bank, for the exact amount of Bs.770.00 (Seven Hundred and Seventy Bolivianos) payable to Embajada Americana La Paz. Please note that certified bank checks are valid only for only one month once issued by the bank. We recommend you obtain the check 1-2 days prior to sending your passport application to La Paz by Federal Express to ensure it does not expire. In addition, please note the local Bolivian bank will charge you a fee for the issuance of the check.
- Personal Check – For the exact amount of Bs.770.00 (Seven Hundred and Seventy Bolivianos), payable to: Embajada Americana La Paz.
3. Send Your Passport Application via FedEx to:
U.S. Embassy La Paz
Consular Section – ACS
Avenida Arce #2780
La Paz, Bolivia
- Your completed passport application DS-82
- Your current passport (upon issuance of your new passport, we will cancel your old passport in accordance with State Department regulations and return it to you together with the new passport)
- Personal Check or Certified Bank Check
- Your photo
- Any supporting documents
Do not send your application to the United States.
Please note that incomplete or incorrectly completed applications will be returned unprocessed.
Return of Passport: The Consular Section will send your newly issued and old passports through FedEx to the address specified in Section 8 of the passport application. If you do not want to receive your passport at this address, please include a completed FedEx waybill form with an alternative return address. You will be required to pay Bs.70.00 (Seventy Bolivianos) to FedEx upon delivery of your documents. The turnaround time to receive a full validity passport by FedEx is approximately three to four weeks.