Renew an Adult Passport by FedEx
Your passport may be renewed by mail only if:
- You are currently in Bolivia and have a mailing address in Bolivia;
- Your most recent passport was issued within the last 15 years, and after you turned age 16;
- The passport you are submitting is not damaged, lost or stolen.
Passport Application Checklist:
Complete the following four (4) steps in order, to successfully renew your passport by courier.
- Complete online and print Form DS-82 available for selection using the online passport wizard. Be sure to complete ALL fields accurately, as any mistakes may result in a delay in processing your application. Make sure that you sign and date the form. Print application on one-sided pages only. If you have questions regarding the form, please contact the Consular Section for assistance at ConsularLaPazACS@state.gov. Pay particular attention to the following fields:
- Field #5, Social Security Number: You must provide a Social Security number, if you have been issued one. If you do not have a Social Security number, you must submit a statement, signed and dated, that includes the phrase, “I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the following is true and correct: I have never been issued a Social Security Number by the Social Security Administration.” See more information here.
- Field #8, Mailing Address: Please be certain to provide a LOCAL address in field #8.
- Photo: Submit a 2×2 inch (5×5 cm) color photograph of your face, neck, and shoulders with a white background, taken within the past six months. Photo booth photographs are NOT acceptable for U.S. passport issuance. And images that appear to be photo shopped or altered will not be accepted. The photograph must be taken in normal street attire, without a hat, head covering, military uniform or glasses, unless a signed statement is submitted by the applicant verifying the item is worn daily for religious purposes or a signed doctor’s statement is submitted verifying the item is used daily for medical purposes. Do NOT staple or paperclip the photo to your application. Please carefully review the photo guidelines on the Department of State website page.
- Field #11, Name Change Information: If the name you are currently using differs from the name on your most recent U.S. passport, you must submit an original copy of your marriage/divorce certificate or court order showing the change of name. All documents will be returned to you by mail together with the new passport. If you are unable to document your name change in this manner, you must schedule an appointment for a personal appearance at the U.S. Embassy in La Paz or the Consular Agency in Santa Cruz and apply using Form DS-11 application form.
- Signature: Please sign the form using your legal signature. If your signature has changed since your last passport renewal, please provide legal proof of new signature (examples include: residence card, driver’s license, federal or state-issued ID, or other passport).
- Note: You cannot currently list a “Country” when completing the “Emergency Contact” section on our forms. Please list an emergency contact in the United States.
- Make Payment: Please follow these instructions: Make a deposit of Bs.770.00 (Seven Hundred and Seventy Bolivianos), under the applicant’s name, at Banco Bisa, Account Nº 067545003-0 – U.S. Disbursing Officer (USDO).
- Send a confirmation of payment email to ConsularLaPazACS@state.gov, using the following subject line: Confirmation of Passport Renewal Payment at Banco BISA. Include a scanned copy of the passport application and the Banco Bisa receipt.
- Send Your Passport Application via FedEx: Do not send your application to the United States. Within a week of making payment, send by FedEx:
- Your completed passport application DS-82,
- Your current passport, (upon issuance of your new passport, we will cancel your old passport in accordance with State Department regulations and return it to you together with the new passport.)
- A copy of the receipt of payment at Banco Bisa,
- Your photo, and
- Any supporting documents
- Prepaid FedEx waybill Form – You will be required to pay Bs.100 to FedEx to send and receive your passport.
Send to: U.S. Embassy La Paz
Consular Section – ACS
Avenida Arce #2780
La Paz, Bolivia
IMPORTANT NOTE: Passport applications should be sent WITHIN A WEEK of making payment at Banco BISA. Due to the sensitivity of the enclosed documents, please do not send your application through regular mail. Regular mail cannot be tracked, and is not secure. Please note that incomplete or incorrectly completed applications will be returned unprocessed.
Return of Passport: Upon receipt of your new passport, the Consular Section will send your new and old passports to the address specified in the passport application under Mailing Address in Section 8 of the application. If you do not want to receive your passport at this address, please include the return address in the FedEx waybill form.
The turnaround time to receive a full validity passport by FedEx is approximately three to four weeks.